Moving house? If so, it’s very likely that you’re worried about the various tasks ahead. The most daunting of these tasks, however, is packing. Packing is hard enough when you’re off on holiday but when you’re moving house, it’s a nightmare. To relieve some of this stress, you can hire a packing service like the one offered by us here at Metro Removals. Our experts are fully trained in the safe packaging and transportation of all manner of possessions.
Alas, for some this simply isn’t an option and, as a result, will be undertaking this gargantuan task themselves. So, in order to lend a helping hand, we have put together a list highlighting the various packing materials that you might need.
Arguably the bread and butter of everyone’s packing plan, moving boxes should be the first thing on your list. Cardboard, plastic, wheels or no wheels – the choice is yours. Obviously price will factor into your decision, but cardboard should suffice for most people. Here are a couple of key things to consider:
- Get a variety of sizes. This will help deal with the plethora of oddly shaped objects you will come across. Also, it’s best to get more small boxes than large boxes, ideally twice as many.
- It might be an idea to get some special boxes to cater for every situation. For example, you may want to consider special boxes for delicate items such as mirrors and artwork.
Labels and Permanent Marker
If you ask anyone about packing for your move – assuming they know their stuff – their lists will all share these two items: labels and permanent marker. This is because there is another side to packing that we rarely think about when we’re stuffing boxes, namely, unpacking. Without labelling and marking each box correctly, unpacking will be virtually impossible, or at least far more difficult than it needs to be. With that in mind, get these two items on your list.
Moving boxes are great, but you can’t just go throwing objects into them willy-nilly, it’s not safe and may cause damage to the objects whilst in transit. So, in order to protect you and your worldly possessions, you’ll need some wrapping material. Here are the kinds that we suggest:
- Bubble wrap – The most famous of all packing materials, bubble wrap comes in handy when you want to protect your most treasured possessions, or simply to protect those possessions which are particularly delicate.
- Packing paper – This is is this most versatile form of wrapping material, and will be your first line of defence. You can use it to wrap your dishes and cutlery, or simply scrunch it and pad out spare room in your boxes.
- Plastic wrap – To the layman, plastic wrap is simply a large roll of cling film. It can attach objects, boxes and large, awkward items together easily, and will be essential for keeping all your belongings stable in transit.
Established in 1982, Metro Removals provides a first-rate packing, storage and removals service around Thrapston, Uppingham and the surrounding areas. Whether performing a commercial, office or residential removal, the team at Metro Removals have the expertise and experience to get it done quickly and safely. We offer free home visits and quotations and great competitive prices. Whether you’re moving locally or internationally – give us a call today and see what we can do for you.