If you are moving home and you have kids you could find yourself asking the question “how does moving house affect children?”. Moving house with children in tow can be a little daunting. After all, relocating is hard enough solo, so it can even more challenging when kids are involved. Although house moving can be difficult for children, there are ways to make the process easier for them. At Metro Removals, we can be relied upon to make moving house with kids as easy and stress-free as possible. We’ve helped hundreds of families to relocate over the past 40 years. We’re widely renowned as one of the top family-friendly removals companies in Kettering & Market Harborough. We can provide a tailored removals service to meet your needs.
What can I expect when moving house with children?
Moving house with kids is always tricky, whether they’re excited to move or they’re one step away from chaining themselves to the radiator. The truth is, they’re being removed from their comfort zone and asked to adapt to a whole new environment, and this can be tough. The house move is likely to affect them more than they and you might think.
Not only will they need to make new friends with other kids nearby, but they may also face being the new kid at another school. We all know how difficult that can be for children. The stress they can experience can easily translate into bad behaviour or impacted development in some cases.
Why is moving so tough for kids?
You may wonder why moving house is so much tougher for kids compared with adults. The main reason is that adults are more able to discuss how relocating affects them. Children on the other hand are less able to do so, especially when they’re very young. They find it difficult to let people know how they’re feeling or ask for help and support when they need it.
Many people believe children are adaptable enough that moving house shouldn’t affect them. However, all the evidence shows that relocating can impact them in various ways. Therefore, it’s important to consider how moving home will affect your kids. Also, think about what you can do to make the process easier for them and deal with the change in a positive way.
Advice for moving house with children
Moving house may be tough for kids, but often it’s unavoidable. Perhaps you’re moving so you can get a better job or because you want them to go to a nicer school. Maybe you want to move so you’re nearer to family members. In many cases, your children can benefit greatly in the longer term. Plus, there are many ways to make the process of moving house easier on them.
- Tell them as soon as possible. Don’t delay telling your kids you’re moving house, even if you’re worried about their reaction. Springing it on them a few days before the removal van arrives isn’t a good idea. Let them know in advance to help them become accustomed to the idea.
- Highlight the benefits of the move. Rather than acting like moving house is something scary, you should highlight the benefits of the move. Turn it into a fun family adventure that they should look forward to. Mention how they will make lots of new friends, have a big garden to play in, or be closer to their grandparents. Focus on the positives of the move.
- Involve them as much as possible. Involving your kids in the move will make them feel more empowered, helping them to feel more excited and positive about the process. Get them to pack up their possessions, asking them to choose a place for them in their new bedrooms. You could also give them the important task of choosing which toys or games give away or recycle that they don’t play with anymore.
- Pack up their toys last. Most removals companies in Kettering and Market Harborough will be happy to load up your kids’ toys last. Loading them on the van last will ensure that they’re the first to come off when they arrive at your new home. This means they’ll have toys to play with whilst you’re getting on with the unpacking process.
- Plan a fun first night. Although you’ll probably be eager to unpack and get your house in order, it makes sense to spend the first night relaxing as a family. The first night in a new house can be stressful for children, but spending time with you can provide them with comfort and reassurance. You could watch a DVD together and order a pizza to help everyone unwind and relax.
- Hire a family-friendly removals company. Don’t make the mistake of going it alone when you’re moving house with children. It might be tempting if you want to save money, but you’re likely to regret it when the time comes. Relocating can be physically demanding, time-consuming, and stressful, and therefore it makes sense to employ a local removals company that can take the strain for you.
Why choose Metro Removals
Metro Removals has been one of the leading removals companies in Market Harborough and Kettering since 1982. We have been helping families of all sizes move to pastures new. Whether you’re moving across town or you’re relocating across the country, we can assist. We’re extremely experienced in the removals game, so you can be sure that you can rely on us to make the process of moving house as easy as possible for your whole family. When you hire Metro Removals, we’ll take care of everything, letting you focus on caring for your kids at this challenging time.
Our friendly team are always on hand to discuss your removal needs. Call 01536 665 149 (Kettering) or 01858 515 015 (Market Harborough). Alternatively, send a message via our website. We can provide more information about our removals services or arrange for our team to carry out a pre-move survey.