Yes, you should.
Moving home is already hard work because the removal process requires more than just picking up items and shifting them. Things must be wrapped, taken apart, and possessions that need specialist care, like a piano, need extra TLC to ensure that it remains working at its optimal capacity. Don’t damage the floors or yourself for that matter – get an expert to do the heavy lifting.
Why you should avoid moving a piano yourself
Although you may think moving a piano yourself is physically possible, there are many things that can go wrong and many reasons as to why you should call an expert to help you every step of the way.
- Weight – pianos are cumbersome, top-heavy objects that can be damaged very easily to the point of becoming irreparable. No matter what kind of piano you intend to shift, they can be as heavy as 545 kg – that’s over 80 stone and even the lighter electric ones can still weigh in at 9 stone! The weight is also distributed unevenly, so it can be hard for you to know how to manipulate it when lifting, whereas experienced movers can anticipate the change in weight safely.
- Damages – any bumps along the way can ruin the tuning and affect the sound quality of your piano. Also any deep scratches can be difficult to rectify and your family heirloom may never be the same again.
- Route – your journey may include stairs and narrow corners, which can be tricky if the weight of the piano shifts unexpectedly and this can be very dangerous. To ensure that both you and your piano stay in one piece, you should leave it to the professionals to take a measured and careful approach.
- Equipment – if you’re moving the piano without any lifting slings, shoulder dollies or a piano trolley dolly, then you’re in for a difficult move. Without specialist equipment you could be in serious trouble. Whereas a professional has the equipment to hand to allow for a smooth, efficient and safe removal. With straps, fasteners and wheels to help move you can ensure a flawless service.
- Costs – professional services will cost a lot less than the repairs that may need to be made if a trip or fall does occur.
Make your moving day a little easier – whether it’s for domestic or commercial properties – when you let the professionals take the weight off your shoulders.
Established since 1982, Metro Removals have been providing first-rate services around Thrapston, Uppingham and the surrounding areas. Count on our family run company to provide you with our expertise and our decades of experience. Our services include: residential, commercial and office removals, overseas removals, storage and packing services and packing materials. We offer free home visits and quotations and great competitive prices. Whether you’re moving locally or internationally – give us a call today and see what we can do for you.